Every summer, you ride to alleviate hunger by taking part in the annual LAGSRIDE Bicycle Poker Run. For the health and safety of all involved, the 2020 LAGSRIDE is going virtual!
During the 2020 Virtual LAGSRIDE, you will have the opportunity to become a “rider” for Self-Help International from wherever you are, and mobilize others to alleviate hunger by helping people help themselves. Between September 1, 2020 and September 26, 2020, collect donations in support of Self-Help International. Ride any route(s) of your choosing at a time that is convenient for you and share it with your friends and family on social media and your personal fundraising page! All fundraising will be due on the final day of the ride – Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 11:59 PM CT. If you have any problems meeting this deadline, please call 319-352-4040 to let us know.
How it Works
- Between now and Sep. 1, 2020 register here as an individual or a team leader and pledge to raise money for Self-Help International by becoming a virtual rider. If you pledge to raise $100 or more for Self-Help, you will receive a special Self-Help International branded t-shirt.
- You can pledge to raise money as an individual, or you can form a “fundraising team” with your friends, families, or coworkers – more details on that below!
- The week of Aug. 24, you will receive a “toolkit” via email to help you get started sharing about your ride for Self-Help. It will include sample language for emails and social media posts, as well as pictures you can share. You don’t have to use this toolkit – but, if you’re not sure how to share your passion for Self-Help, we’ll give you the tools you need. We will include a download link for the toolkit on this page in case you registered after Sep. 1 or in the event you missed the email with it included!
- The week of Aug. 24, you will receive instructions via email on how to set up a fundraising page on our platform JustGiving. These instructions will also include information on how team leaders can set up their team page and get their teammates connected to it. During this week, we will also offer two live Zoom sessions on how to set up your fundraising pages. One session will be for riders that pledged to fundraise as individuals, and one session will be for riders that pledged to be team leaders for a fundraising team. We will post links to the written instructions and the Zoom video sessions on this page in case you registered after Sep. 1, or in the event that you weren’t able to make it to the live Zoom sessions.
- On Sep. 1, you will launch your fundraising page on JustGiving and start mobilizing people in the fight against hunger! Share your passion with your friends and family, and ask them to make a gift in honor of your ride on your personal fundraising page.
- The “official” day to ride is Saturday, Sep. 26. You can ride whatever distance you want and you can ride wherever you want. Share about your ride with your group of supporters so they can cheer you on! If Sep. 26 doesn’t work for you, then go ahead and ride any time between Sep. 1 and Sep. 26. You can even divide up the distance you want to ride over a few separate days. Just remember – all fundraising is due on Sep. 26 at 11:59 PM CT. If you think you will be unable to meet this deadline, please call 319-352-4040 to let us know.
- Prizes: further details will be shared during the kick off event – tune in then or watch the recording after to learn more!
Individuals and Teams
“I want to fundraise as an individual” –
If you want to fundraise as an individual, please indicate that you are fundraising as an individual in the registration form below. You will receive instructions the last week of August detailing how to set up your individual fundraising page. You will also be invited to join a live Zoom session to kick off the event, which will include information about creating your page and answer any questions you might have. If you are not able to attend the Zoom session, you will receive a recording via email and a link to the recording will be posted here so you can watch it any time.
“I want to form a fundraising team” –
If you want to form a fundraising team, please indicate that you are registering as a team leader below. If you are forming a fundraising team, only the team leader needs to register using the form below – the rest of the team does not need to register here. As the fundraising team leader, you will be responsible for making sure your teammates receive the toolkit and get the instructions on how to set up their individual pages, as well as making sure they are connected to your team fundraising page. You will receive instructions the last week of August so that you have all of the information you need to successfully get you and your teammates set up to fundraise. You will be invited to join a live Zoom session the week of Aug. 24 just for team leaders that will walk you through setting up your fundraising page, setting up your team fundraising page, and making sure your teammates are connected to the fundraising page. If you miss this Zoom session, you will receive a recording of it via email and a link will be posted on this page so you can watch it any time.
Any group can form a fundraising team – families, friends, coworkers, etc. You can choose to ride together as a group in person, or you can choose to ride individually in order to maintain physical distancing – whatever you are most comfortable doing. Fundraising teams are a way for you to collectively join your efforts and provide a space for encouragement and motivation as you all ride for one common mission – alleviating hunger by helping people help themselves.
- Now through Sep. 1, 2020: register here as an individual rider or a team leader and pledge to ride for Self-Help International.
- The week of Aug. 24, 2020: receive your toolkit via email that will provide some examples of ways you can share about your ride and your passion for alleviating hunger.
- The week of Aug. 24, 2020: receive instructions via email on how to launch your fundraising page on JustGiving and tune in to the Zoom session for a video walkthrough of how to set up your fundraising page.
- Sep. 1, 2020: launch your fundraising page on JustGiving and share your ride with your family and friends!
- Sep. 26, 2020: all fundraising is due by 11:59 PM CT. Please let us know if you feel like you can’t meet this deadline by calling 319-352-4040.
Is there a fee to participate?
No, there is no fee to participate in the 2020 Virtual LAGSRIDE!
Can someone make a gift through the mail to be counted toward my fundraising total?
Yes, they can mail their gift to 207 20th St. NW Suite A, Waverly, IA 50677. Please ask them to indicate with their gift that they are making a gift toward your campaign.
What if I’m having trouble setting up my fundraising page on launch day?
Please call 319-352-4040 and someone from Self-Help will work with you on getting your fundraising page set up.
Do I have to ride on the “official” ride day on Sep. 26?
No, you do not have to ride on Sep. 26. You can ride before Sep. 26. We are asking that all fundraising is complete by Sep. 26 at 11:59 PM CT.
Do I have to ride a specific distance?
No, you can ride as much or as little as you want to!
I’m not receiving emails from Self-Help International with the instructions. Why?
Sometimes, our emails can go into your account’s “Spam” folder. Please check your spam folder and make sure that emails from email@example.com are not set to go to spam.
If you aren’t sure how to do this, please call 319-352-4040 and someone from Self-Help will walk you through these steps.
All proceeds from the 2020 Virtual LAGSRIDE will benefit Self-Help International, Waverly’s own international non-profit organization, in their mission to alleviate hunger by helping people help themselves. Self-Help provides opportunities for rural farm families in Ghana, West Africa and Nicaragua, Central America to improve their quality of life with dignity through improving agriculture, fighting malnutrition, accessing clean water, and empowering women and girls.
What can just $100 do?
- $100 can provide one-on-one nutritional advising and postpartum support for a mother and her newborn for five months through Growing Healthy Food, Growing Healthy Children.
- $100 can teach a family farmer about improved cultivation practices that can help them increase yields and improve household income and food security.
- $100 can provide a start up loan for a woman in the micro-credit program to pursue her business idea.
- $100 can offer practical skills training for 20 girls in the Teen Girls Club so they can generate their own income for spending money and not rely on predatory men.